Tuesday 29 January 2013

Introduction

This is my first post on this blog (or any blog for that matter), so I thought I'd write a little about myself and my intentions for, and reasons behind creating, this blog.

The aim of this blog is simple: To bring together as many free samples, soundfonts, VSTs and other musical compositional tools as possible.

Here's a little on my background: I have been writing music since the age of twelve, when I first started to learn the guitar. A natural progression from that was to learn to play the bass guitar and the drums, followed by (albeit very basic) piano.

Having played in bands for a few years I eventually decided to put all my focus on writing soundtrack music (movies, video games, trailers, you get the idea), however when I first started out with basic software I found myself spending hours and hours on forums and looking through dozens of pages of google results. Being on a tight budget I was mainly looking for free samples or plugins.

Having spent the last 2 or 3 years looking out for these elusive freebies, I decided to make this blog and share some of the best free music samples/plugins I can find, to save other musicians from spending the excruciating hours I did searching for them. I don't consider myself an expert, and I don't claim this blog/list to be fully comprehensive, there's a lot of stuff out there and I'm simply trying to save others the time it took me to find the free aspects of my current library. Some will be left out, either because I'm not familiar enough with them (yet), because I haven't heard of them (yet), or simply because I don't consider them to be worth getting a hold of.

On a side note, I'll admit I've started paying for samples recently but that's just because I had some money lying around and decided to put it to good use, but none the less I still frequently use many of the samples I'll be posting about here.

So feel free to subscribe if you're just starting out and want a good foundation to your sample libraries or even if you're an experienced writer who just wants to ensure you're not missing out on anything.

Thanks,
Gareth.

No comments:

Post a Comment